let’s go for a bike ride! below i’ve outlined a trip from San Francisco to Santa Cruz and back:
- duration: 5 days
- length: ~ 120 miles
- elevation: ~ +8000/-8100 ft
This day starts out in the city. After we get to Pacifica, we take a detour into a trail known as the “Planet of the Apes” (Thanks Myles!). It is kind of a winding old road that has slowly deteriorated into a jungle, perfect for bikes but not for cars. It is really pretty and pops you out at Montara. From there, we’ll ride more straight forwardly to Half Moon bay where we’ll stay.
- Half Moon Bay State Beach
- this state park has a special section just for cyclists that can’t be reserved!
- we might not be the only ones there, but have a hard time imaging we’d get turned away
From Half Moon Bay, we have a pretty chill ride over to the end of Pescadero. The major de-“tour” ;) is the section between San Gregorio, through Pescadero, and back to the highway. Right after that, we’ll be at the campground. I’m expecting this will be a pretty slow, chill day.
- Coastanoa KOA
- we got a campground here. it lets us have up to 6 people.
Though the most of this ride is on the highway, thankfully there is a pretty big shoulder and the ride is pretty, looking over cliffs to the ocean. The freeway takes us all the way into Santa Cruz proper.
- Henry Cowell State Park
- they have a special campsite for touring bicyclists who bike into the state park
- we call and confirmed we could stay two nights
- hangout and hike in henry cowel state park?
- go to the mystery spot?
- go to the beach?
- drink beer?
I’ve never done this section of the ride, so I won’t attempt to describe it outside of the fact that we’re going over the hill, through Scott’s Valley, and into San Jose. From there, we’ll take the Caltrain back to 4th and King in San Francisco and conclude the trip.
incoming links: now